Friday, May 21, 2010

[marketplace] Of Rags

Buying fabric in Accra was, for me, always an exercise of optimism and possibility. On a top floor of the Kaneshie market, in tin-roofed stalls along major streets, even at a refugee camp, you can find some of the most colorful and imaginative, patterned fabrics--some in tie dye print and others hand stamped with West African Adrinkra symbols. You could get high off of a few yards of the stuff. Seriously.

I remember my housemates and I lived for the days when our lovely seamstress, Marjorie, would drop by to take down orders of our newest design-whims. One of my favorites was an apron pieced together with different swaths, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that Of Rags is offering a sweet dress in a similar style:



Of Rags is a fair trade fashion cooperative that benefits special needs children in Accra, Ghana while creating jobs for the community. On Tuesday, May 25, they're throwing a concept party, featuring their new line at Nuyorican Poets Cafe, 236 East 3rd Street (Between Ave B & C), $5 at the door. For more photos, check out their facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment