Wednesday, July 28, 2010

the sketchbook project, I challenge you

To me, a sketchbook is a beginning. It's a place where not fully formed ideas can play for a little while. It's a testing ground. Now imagine a library that houses thousands of sketchbooks for you to check out and thumb through. Not only that, you can contribute your own. I just love this idea.

The Brooklyn Art Library is accepting participants for its annual Sketchbook Project until October 31, 2010. Participants receive a moleskin and a theme--they are due January 15 for the 2011 tour around the country, and you can also have them digitize it on their website. Anyone from anywhere in the world can apply.


I just signed up, and my theme is "And then there were none."
I'm getting an extinction/Lorax vibe.

If you have any ideas for me on that theme, please let me know. And if you decide to sign up (I challenge you!), feel free to drop a comment on what theme you chose.

One of my favorite submission so far comes from Alinac, with the bold theme: Dirigibles and Submersibles.

And a big thank you to Kat for the heads-up.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. The Lorax sounds like a good place to go for inspiration. It also makes me think of the song "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall." I don't think that's helpful, but I'm just saying what I thought of. It should be a really interesting theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you asked if I already have any ideas for mine, I'm thinking of covering the brown cover in trilobite fossils or something (or beer bottles haha).

    But I think I might have to buy a second moleskin, because sketching, for me anyways, should be pretty spontaneous, and if I come up with something good for that then I'll transfer it into the real one...I guess that's not so spontaneous.

    Anyways, looking on the site, there are already some submissions, and for sleepless, there seems to be many like horror inspired sketches.

    ReplyDelete