Friday, July 2, 2010

things from my grandparents' house

Summer nights make me wish I was still in Shanghai, at my grandparents' house.


Na bu (grandma) cutting a melon, na gong (grandpa) poring over his books, laundry swaying on the balcony next to some ferns, and my grandfather's trademark long jing (Dragon Well) tea. 

He drinks it just like this everyday since he was 20 years old. There's a funny story in my family that when my cousin and I were little, our grandfather took us to an amusement park. While we were playing, he sat on a bench drinking this tea from a jam jar. A stunned, little boy came up to him, pointed to his jar and screamed to his father, "Look dad, LEAVES!" My grandfather, always stoic never fazed, simply stared at the boy and kept drinking his tea. It wasn't until much later that I learned of such things like tea filters or teapots.

3 comments:

  1. I really wish I had a camera like yours. It takes some great pictures. I've been wrestling with my point-and-shoot over here forever. Whenever I want to take a picture of something, especially when it's dusk or night, I always take at least 5 and hope one turns out. And none of them look quite as sophisticated or artsy as these.

    But what does the Dragon Tea taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! I definitely appreciate my slr. actually, haha my mom got it for me at costco! so an amateurish, beginner slr isn't too pricey.

    and the tea, called dragon well, just reminds me of grandpa so it's tastes sort of "older gentlemanly" to me haha, whatever that means, I guess I would say, it is a green tea that takes itself seriously, kind of bitter, for the purist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm not a real purist, then. I prefer the green teas that have that ever-so-slight natural sweetness to them. But an older gentleman would definitely know his tea.

    ReplyDelete